Saturday, October 1, 2011

crazy long poem.

"Take out your pen and paper", my professor said.
"Finish this sentence with as many things that come into your head."
The chalk glided across the board as we waited to see
Just what the tough sentence to finish would be.
We smiled when the words finally made their debut,
Complete "I am..." with what you perceive to be true.
It started off easy, I am born again.
Redeemed and saved, Jesus calls me his friend.
I am short certainly wasn't a surprise
Hopefully my light for God is as obvious as my size.
The list went on, our goal was to write at least 15 decriptions
Trying to be true to what we thought was an honest depicton
I found myself writing words that described my own war
Bringing revelation, which is exactly what this exercise is for.
I am a fighter.  I am strong by the Spirit.
O God, give me direction, and ears to hear it.
I am perseverent.  I will not give up.
O God, restore me when I want to, keep refilling my cup.
I am smart.  I won't let my mind go to waste.
O God, only You keep me sound, come to my rescue with haste.
I am tired.  My body doesn't work as it should.
O God, relieve me of my sadness, remind me You use this for good.
I am frustrated.  In my lack of physical ability, I feel lazy.
O God, remind me of how you work in stillness; how there's purpose to even lillies and daisies.
I am joyful.  My Jesus ransomed me!
He conquered death, and set me free!
I am blessed.  I have everything I need.
And yet, I still can't wait until that day
When Jesus finally says "breathe."
How does a normal breath even feel?
I'd imagine too good to even be real.
That day when God says, "This trial is over.  It's achieved my glory.
Now go breathe.  My daughter, there's still more to this story."
"Run, dance and praise as you so desperately desire."
Lord, let me not forget who You are, but always lift you higher.
Forgive me for the "I ams" that don't reflect you
Forgive me for my selfishness that ignores a kingdom view.
But God, I just can't get this off of my mind.
I am so many things, not just one word can define.
Whether through miracles, medicines, or transplants,
you provide everything I'll be needing
So that one day I can fill in the blank...
I am... breathing.

I will breathe easily one day because God is love. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment