Friday, September 20, 2013

Mission impossible

Sorry I have been off my blogging-game.. but now that I can actually do some things, the computer takes the back-burner :P 

Anyway, so I left off at being on ECMO & trach/vent.

Ahh.. the ecmo days... where every single day felt like it drabbed on... when it was finally night, I couldn't sleep anyway, and every single day was almost exactly the same.. the only difference was each day seemed slightly (some days greatly) harder than the previous, and each day seemed to have a new problem.. it was almost like the days were competing with one another as to which day would be worse.

I had to "exercise".  The first day of my PT (physical therapy) the therapist just wanted to get me out of bed and sit in a chair which was maybe 3 steps from the bed.  Seems easy enough.. except they had to rewire all the contraptions that were hooked up to me, move around machines, and literally pull me up to a sitting position before I could even think about getting my feet on the ground.  Let's just say... the first day wasn't my favorite.  Not that ANY of the days were particularly on my "good times list", but the first day I barely made it to the chair -- and I felt super sick once I got there, only to need to return to the bed shortly after, and still feel sicker than before I had gotten up.  So not only did I feel miserable, but I felt like I didn't accomplish what I was supposed to.. and for me.. that's a really huge deal. 

That night I got chills and started shaking like my bed was on some kind of vibration mode.  I had gotten a fever.  Thankfully I was too tired and in-and-out of it to worry that much about it because they say if you have a fever, you can't get transplanted, so of course it was a concern that THAT night would be when the call came for my lungs, and we would possibly have to reject it.  God saved me the heartache of that.  The next day they didn't make me "exercise", thank You, God! lol that day might have been one of the only days when the therapist saw me smile as I happily told him that I wasn't allowed to exercise that day.  The day after, however, was a different story.  My temperature had only gone down to 102, my blood sugar just read "high" on the meter (meaning it was too high for the meter to calculate), but regardless -- I was told it was time to get back on my feet.. and this was truly the strength of God --- it took eleven adults, mostly men, to get me out of the bed, hold all my tubes, rewire everything, connect my trach to a portable system, and move my ecmo and vent machines -- but I WALKED!  And JUST like God.. he never gives the minimum but always in abundance -- I walked 340 feet!! ON 2 DIFFERENT FORMS OF LIFE SUPPORT, WITH AN EXTREMELY HIGH BLOOD SUGAR, AND A HIGH FEVER! 

Needless to say, even though my body physically felt awful still, I at least felt accomplished.. AND I became a celebrity amongst the MICU hahah!  Doctors I didn't even know were popping in to say "we heard you're the girl who walked 340 ft!"  Not only that, it showed my new doctors, who had only just met me, that I'm a fighter and not slacking off when they tell me this will help me.. but most importantly.. it showed my doctors, and doctors who weren't even mine, and patients, and anyone else who heard about it, that my GOD is STRONG!  He can make the blind men see and the deaf man hear, and (sorry if this statement upsets anyone), while my body was dying, His Spirit trumped over that and gave me strength to not only do what was required, but to OVER achieve.  My body was drained but His Spirit was overflowing.

Seriously... how nice is our God? 
 
Not only that, the guy who was pushing my portable vent machine found the perfect setting for me which made my breathing a lot more comfortable than the previous setting! (Thank you, Paul from MICU-B!) 

Peter walked on water in storm.  He literally did something impossible because Jesus gave him the ability to. Now I didn't walk on water, obviously...(I wasn't even allowed to drink water, let alone try to walk on it :P) but walking 340ft with an entire entourage while your body is dying.. I'd say that's pretty close to impossible.. but then again..

"Nothing is impossible with God."
               Luke 1:37

I did the impossible that day because God is love.

(And just wait.. more crazy, seemingly-impossible things are to come :) )

1 comment:

  1. You should look up the technical specs of Darth Vader's suit some time. Basically all that and more. Of course, that's sci-fi, but maybe some day... mobile life-support systems that you wear... and not take a whole football team to help. Good on ya for being so strong, Emily.

    ReplyDelete